learn the art of cooking
Tart - Six Types
- Apple Tart
• 1 Sheet (about 8 Ounce) frozen puff
• 3 tbsp Cinnamon sugar
• 1/4 Cup apricot jam, melted
• 2 tbsp Unsalted butter, melted
• Take the baking sheet and line it
with parchment paper.
• Smear the thawed pastry on parchment
• Pierce half inch border around the
edge of pastry with the help of tines of a fork. Now pierce it all over.
• Thinly slice the peeled apples and
arrange these slices in four rows on pastry top.
• You can overlap the slices if
required. Leave the corners clear.
• Apply melted butter on apples slices.
• Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake
it for half an hour.
• Now apply melted jam over baked
• Bake again until golden. It takes
about 8 minutes.
• Serve the apple tart warm.
- Butter Tart
• 1/2 Cup brown sugar
• 1/4 Cup yellow corn syrup
• 1 Egg
• 1/2 tsp Vanilla
• 1/2 tsp Vinegar
• 1/4 Cup currants (optional)
• 1/4 Cup raisins (optional)
• Now add raisins and currants.
• Place it in unbaked pastry shells.
• Cook for 5 minutes at 425 degree F.
• Now cook for another 10 minutes at 325 degree F.
- Lemon Tartlet
• 1 cup Sugar
• 1 tsp Grated Lemon Rind
• 1/3 cup Lemon Juice
• 1/4 tsp Salt
• 4 Egg Yolks (slightly beaten)
• Pre baked Tart Shells as required
• Stir over boiling water for 10
minutes, stirring constantly.
• Continue to cook until thickened.
• Allow to cool and then fill the
• Served chilled.
• Lemon Tartlets are ready.
- Blueberry Butter Tart
• 12 Frozen tart shells
• 3/4 tsp Vanilla
• 1/3 Cup brown sugar
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• 1 tbsp Flour
• 1 Lightly beaten egg
• 1/2 Cup corn syrup
• Put tart shells in foil cups and keep
it on a baking sheet.
• Beat the egg with syrup, juice and
vanilla in a large bowl.
• Stir in sugar along with flour in
• Divide blueberries among tart shells.
• Fill each shell with egg mixture
right to top.
• Bake it on the bottom rack at 375 F
• Cool and refrigerate.
• Blueberry Butter tart are ready.
- Chocolate Tart
• 8 Ounces semisweet chocolate, cut in
• 1 Cup heavy cream
• 2 Large egg yolks
• 1 Cup raspberries
• Unfold pastry on a lightly floured
work surface and roll it into a 12-inch square.
• Fit into a 9 inch round tart pan,
making sure the pastry is not stretched.
• Trim excess pastry from pan by
pressing round the perimeter with the tip of your thumb.
• Prick pastry all over with a fork.
• Spray the bottom side of a 9-inch
Pyrex-type pie plate with vegetable cooking spray, then place it in the tart
• Bake until crisp and golden brown, 20
to 22 minutes. Remove pie plate and let tart shell cool to room temperature.
• Meanwhile, microwave cream and
chocolate in a 1-quart Pyrex-type measuring cup on high power until cream is
hot enough to melt chocolate.
• Whisk to smoothen it. In a small
bowl, whisk egg yolks. Slowly whisk a cup or so of the chocolate mixture
into the yolks (this keeps them from curdling).
• Whisk this chocolate-egg mixture back
into the remaining chocolate and stir until completely blended.
• Pour chocolate filling into tart
• Cool until filling has set.
• Serve with whipped cream and optional raspberries.
- Lemon Tart
• 1 Stick marzipan
• 1 Stick butter
• 1 Egg
• 1 Cup flour
• 2 tbsp Flour
• 1 Pinch salt
• 1/4 tsp Almond extract
• 3/4 Cup Sugar
• 3 Lemons – Juiced
• 1 tbsp Lemon Rind – Grated
• 3/4 Stick Butter -- Room temperature
• In a food processor, process marzipan
• Put butter and process.
• Add egg and blend.
• Add flour and salt and pulse.
• Remove dough from bowl, form into a
ball, cover with plastic wrap andrefrigerate for 30 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 375 Degree F.
• Break off bits of dough and pat into
• Dough yields as follows: 18 tart
shells 2-1/2 inch, 36 tart shells 1-1/2 inch , 48 mini tartlet shells
• Bake in preheated oven for 10 - 14
minutes or until golden brown.
• Remove from oven to cool.
• Cook over medium low heat, whisking
constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
• Immediately remove from heat and pour
• Cut butter into little bits and whisk
into lemon mixture.
• Refrigerate until cold.
• Fill lemon mixture into tartlet
• Once tartlets are filled you have to
freeze them in a singe layer on a cookie sheet.
• When they are nice and frozen they
can be placed into a plastic container in layers with a sheet of wax paper
• Lemon Tartlets are ready.
• Defrost for about 10 minutes before
Courtesy: Shari Nadeem